Medically Reviewed by Dr. Luis Alberto Vallejo
During pregnancy, women may experience various discomforts at the musculoskeletal level and in their circulatory system, thanks to hormonal changes, increased volume and weight gain.
These discomforts are common and inherent in the pregnancy process and therefore cause the future mother to feel uncomfortable, sore and tired.
Massage for pregnant women is a body technique that seeks to relieve such discomfort, by addressing directly the needs that the pregnant woman may have in her body.
The stage of pregnancy is so intimate for women, that it is undoubtedly also one of the best moments in life to pamper and dedicate time to herself.
Massage for pregnant women is ideal for this purpose as well as to mitigate any pain and stress.
Benefits of massage for pregnant women
Among the main benefits of this technique of massage therapy are:
- Eliminate tensions
- Mitigate pain
- Eliminates fears about the pregnancy process and body changes
- About the couple
- Improves circulation
- Decrease swelling or edema
Massage application parameters for pregnant women
When giving massage to pregnant women should consider:
- The therapist can teach the patient’s partner and thus make him participate more actively in the future birth.
- It can be applied during contractions or during the mother’s rest periods.
- The pressure applied depends on the occasion and tolerance of the woman.
- The pregnant woman must take the position in which she feels most comfortable to receive the massage.
- The sliding medium is the preference of the pregnant woman.
- Try to keep your hands warm and locate pain points well.
- The massage time is defined to suit the pregnant woman.
Massage application for pregnant women
The types of massages that can be performed within the massage for pregnant women are:
- Circular Hip Massage
- Full back circular massage
- Circular massage of upper back and shoulders
- Pressure massage in the sacral area
- Circular low back massage
- Leg massage
- Arm massage
- Prenatal perineal massage (must be applied by the woman’s partner or herself)
- Lactation Massage: Stimulating the nipples with fingers
- Abdomen massage
- Back massage during childbirth.
Never before the first trimester of pregnancy