Snoring is a common problem that can affect both quality of sleep and health and relationship. Fortunately, there are aids that can alleviate various types of snoring.
It is not always snoring is cumbersome, it may be a little beeping around your nose, or if you are lying, you can “snore”. For quite a few, however, snoring is a real problem that can even have medical causes and cause serious problems.
What exactly is snoring?
Snoring occurs in the nose or throat. Mostly the problem is in the throat and means that you can have problems with the air flow through the throat. If the airflow becomes fast, soft parts (such as the soft palate) may begin to vibrate and you start to snore.
Both men and women snore and there are today aids that are more effective than just putting a pillow over their ears.
Why am I snoring?
Up to half of all adults in Sweden snore and this is after all the most common in men, but you can see that the proportion of women who snore increases after menopause. Then what can it depend on?
Common causes of snoring
- Stress and/or fatigue
- Alcohol and/or smoking
- Depth and/or too little sleep
- Narrow throat and/or large nasal clams
- Relaxing medication and/or painkillers
- Large almonds and/or polyps (applies to children)
- Overbite or small lower jaw
There are two forms of snoring, social and medical – social snoring is not considered directly dangerous while medical snoring should be investigated. Some of the causes of snoring are lifestyle-based, and then it can be about getting help with changing one’s lifestyle in combination with different aids and types of treatment.
What kind of snoring do I have?
Do you suddenly feel tired in the morning and day? You may find it difficult to concentrate? The cause may be so-called sleep apnea, which can be detected in connection with snoring. If you suffer from sleep apnea you say that snoring is medical, so you should go and check your snoring with a doctor.
Sleep apnea means you get a respiratory break – your body goes into an emergency when you suddenly suffer from oxygen deficiency. The condition can in the long run lead to both high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease. There is also a type called central apnea, when the brain does not feel that you are suffering from oxygen deficiency, which is caused by damage to the nerve pathways or brain. Children who suffer from snoring can sometimes be helped by operating the tonsils.
Social snoring does not pose a direct danger to you but can be troublesome for you and your surroundings. Both types of snoring affect us in our everyday lives, both personally and relationally. Life with a snare is often at least as difficult as living as a snare. Here it is important to have a dialogue, to be open to each other and to understand that sleep is an important part of our well-being.
If you are tired you often become less productive, concentrated and social and that does no good to anyone. Then it is lucky that there are different ways to treat snoring!
Treat my snoring – Doctor Bertil gives advice
Doctor Bertil, a specialist in medical rehabilitation and occupational health care, has experience working with patients who suffer from snoring.
– Snoring is a phenomenon and basically no disease but often it can have a negative impact on health, energy and energy. My doctoral specialty is medical rehabilitation, and it is important to restore energy and energy, not least. I always raise questions about fatigue and sleep during my patient visits. It is something that I have applied for many years but more systematically during the latter part of my medical career.
Bertil believes that there has been an increase in social snoring and that for several reasons.
– The phenomenon of snoring has increased and this is partly due to increased body weight and BMI in the population. Other factors may be increased daily drinking of alcohol in the evening as well as drier indoor air with an increase in allergic conditions. In addition, hopefully the knowledge that there is help in getting more people to apply.
Bed rails have been used for many years, Bertil says and then initially with tooth pressing but also with snoring.
– The dentists were out early with individually tailored snare rails and, after an investigation at a sleep laboratory, one of the measures may be to recommend a rail. The effect is that you get a projection of the lower jaw. The throat wall then follows slightly and this leads to better air flow conditions in the throat.
It may be an advantage to combine snoring rails with spray, says Bertil.
– Spray has another mechanism of action as it can improve the function of the mucosa and reduce swelling in the pharynx. If you do not get the full effect of either spray or snare, you should not forget that you can have a synergistic (collaborative) effect if you combine the methods.
Help with snoring
The problems with snoring and sleep deprivation have received increasing attention and today there are a variety of effective aids, besides already mentioned snoring rails and sprays, for those who want to stop snoring.
It is important to choose the right tool for the trouble you have, for example, if you suffer most from oral snoring, a nasal spray does not help and vice versa. Finding out what form of snoring you suffer from will help in choosing aids
- Throat spray is used to make the soft parts of the palate that cause snoring tighter and not to cause snoring. A spray that does not scratch or feel uncomfortable is good when crawling to a bunk.
- Nasal spray can help with snoring caused by stuffy nose.
- The bed rail helps increase the space of the airways by moving the lower jaw. It has been found in various studies that bait rail is an effective tool for stopping snoring.
- Nasal enlargement works by widening the nostrils and thereby facilitating breathing for you who snore. These are also used by athletes to facilitate nose breathing.
- Sleepworm is a type of worm that is mainly used in connection with sleep apnea.
Take your sleep seriously!
Snoring can in the long run become a major problem for society. Being tired and exhausted is nothing that promotes either public health or productivity in what we do.
Snoring can also be due to other ill-health conditions and that is why it is important to take one’s sleep seriously, it also includes snoring. Bertil concludes with some thoughts:
– I think you should basically consider a doctor’s visit. It may be that you have a high blood pressure or that there are factors that you cannot access with a rail. For contact with a sleep laboratory or ear-nose-throat doctor it is often waiting time and during a waiting time it is a good idea to try a rail and/or spray. Keep in mind that there are harmful forms of snoring, those with breathing pauses in sleep. Then maybe a rail is not enough, but you have to use other methods as well.
10 tips for snoring
Snoring can thus be both dangerous and relatively harmless, but still troublesome. So what can you do yourself to avoid snoring?
- Avoid sleeping on your back – on your back you risk clogging your respiratory tract.
- If you are overweight, try to lose weight – being overweight is a common cause of snoring.
- Quit Smoking – Do yourself a favor and quit smoking, smoking swells the mucous membranes and helps you snore.
- Drink less alcohol – alcohol causes the muscles of the throat to relax and increase the risk of snoring.
- Record your sleep – are you often suffering from sleep problems? Not being rested can cause snoring.
- Test various tools available to prevent snoring – snare, throat or nasal spray, mask etc.
- For a dialogue if you have a partner – he/she probably suffers a lot from your snoring.
- Talk to a doctor – if you feel your complaints are so severe.
- If you are taking medication that you suspect may cause snoring – talk to your doctor who can advise you.
- Take your sleep seriously – having problems with sleep, snoring and in the worst case of sleep apnea is not good for your general health. You deserve a good night’s sleep!