March Fracture – Stress Fracture In The Foot

Fact CheckedMedically reviewedSources
This content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure factually accurate information. With strict sourcing guidelines, we only link to academic research institutions and when research is available, medically peer-reviewed studies. The information in our articles is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. More…
Last Medical Review: March 28, 2020
Medically Reviewed by Dr. David Costa Navarro
March fracture (March 28, 2020)

If you strain the body a lot or exercise very hard, small cracks may occur in one of the body’s bones. They are called stress fractures and suddenly occur after a prolonged load. A common stress fracture in one of the small legs of the foot is called marching fracture.

The name marching fracture comes from the fact that in the past, such injuries were often seen by soldiers as marching long distances.

March fractures are common in people who exercise a lot, such as long-distance running. If you have osteoporosis, you can get a marching fracture after a fairly moderate effort, for example by a longer walk.

March fracture can be very painful but it heals without treatment.


The most common symptom is that it hurts the foot when walking. Sometimes the foot can swell. You may also have pain in your foot when you rest.

When should I seek care?

If you feel pain in the foot when you walk and the pain does not go away in a few weeks, you can contact your health care center.


There is nothing you can do to speed up healing. The fracture heals by itself whether you use the foot or not. If you practice, you can continue with it, but not intensely. Feel and calm down if you get significantly more pain from what you do. Try another form of exercise while healing is in progress. It usually takes between six and eight weeks.

Hollow-foot inserts can help when it hurts. They are available in well-stocked shoe stores and sporting goods stores. You can also use a pair of sturdy shoes that fit comfortably. In rare cases, the pain can be relieved by using a plaster boot with heel. You will then receive it when the injury is discovered, for example at the emergency room or at an orthopedic clinic.

If you need pain tablets you can have them prescribed by a doctor or buy yourself at a pharmacy, for example. You can use agents that contain paracetamol, such as Alvedon and Panodil. Ask your doctor if you are unsure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button